Sure, he may seem like the sweet little grandfatherly type, but don't under-estimate Elder Nelson...the man's got skills!
1. Knows how to "feast on doughnuts." (Link here)
2. Got roughed up by machine-gun weilding African bandits, and still showed up to his scheduled church meetings the next morning - when he was 84. (Link here)
3. Has absolutely no problem cracking open your chest and holding your beating heart in the palm of his hand.
(Was on the team that developed the very first heart-lung machine in 1951)
4. Big-time snow skier - one of his "greatest loves."
5. Army doctor during the Korean War - trained doctors in the M.A.S.H. units. (No, he did not meet Hawkeye Pierce. Or Radar.)
6. Has 10 kids - 9 of them girls! (Good thing surgeons make the big bucks)
7. Performed heart surgery on Spencer W. Kimball - when he was President of the Church. (No pressure!)
8. Speaks English, French, and Spanish. And Russian. Oh, and Chinese too.
9. He and his wife sold their blood to pay for medical school.
10. Is an Apostle of the Lord Jesus Christ.
11. Has perfect pitch. And plays the piano.